Monday, December 16, 2013

Cate Blanchett Covers January Vogue. Obviously? Not Really.

Let us converse about the upcoming January 2014 Vogue cover featuring Cate Blanchett. I have a confession to make. I've never seen a film with Cate Blanchett in it. It's an embarrassing reality and I promise I'll get on that, but what I have seen are her multiple puzzling Red Carpet choices. This celebrity's fashion sense boggles my mind every time I see her in any of my favourite fashion magazines, but I suppose that's what makes her interesting, isn't it? Now, here's where I'm getting at. Reflect for a moment and ask yourselves: what makes you select one magazine over another? Are you a loyal Vogue fan and barely have to consider this question? Or is your decision influenced by some external factor, say, the cover page for example?

Personally, I am obsessed with fashion magazines. Give me a copy of all of them for my birthday and we'll instantly become best friends. In fact, my only qualification for choosing a magazine (if I absolutely have to) is whether one of my fashion icons is on the cover because that implies that there will be an interesting article featuring said cover girl inside. Now, getting back to Cate Blanchett. Seeing as I've just confessed to having never seen any of her films, I probably wouldn't pick up a copy of next month's Vogue. I suppose I do judge a magazine by its cover. Don't we all?


So, I have to ask myself: how do I feel about Cate Blanchett? Indifferent? Intrigued? Her fashion sense makes quite a statement and stands out in this industry filled with far too many trend followers. Here is another question: what is the different between a bold dresser and a bad dresser? Is fashion subjective? Who decides? Her stylist? Anna Wintour? Does Cate Blanchett merit this spot on the cover of January 2014 Vogue because she is a fashion icon or because she is an Oscar-winning film star? Many would say that she's both. She is said to be a safe bet for the Vogue cover, but she is definitely NOT a safe dresser. At least, that's one thing most of us can agree on. Is the fashion magazine industry about selling a magazine by displaying a "safe bet" or promoting an image? Are YOU sold on Cate Blanchett?

Simply some food for thought.

Yours,

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment