Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Let's Talk About The Elephant In The Room: 2014

In case you've been living in a cave, the current news around town is that it's the last day of 2013. And what do we love to do upon the start of a New Year? Reflect on everything that happened in the past year and reminisce about what we loved and what we absolutely hated. I'd like to take this opportunity to play a little game called: Top 10 Trends of 2013: Let's Rate Them! (I invented this btw). So, as we take a stroll down memory lane, I'd like you to officially decide what was just a trend and what shall evolve into a wardrobe staple.

NUMBER 10
The Isabel Marant Sneaker Wedge
Rating: 9/10
via neonblush.com
The sneaker wedge revolutionized fashion by allowing the sporty girls to look more feminine and the girly girls to look more athletic. It also allowed the short girls (me) to walk in heels effortlessly. That is an accomplishment on its own and though this may have been 2012, I'm pretty sure this trend is here to stay.

NUMBER 9
The Ear Cuff
Rating: 6/10
via whowhatwear.com
This trend rose to power after the Met Gala: From Punk Chaos to Couture where all our favourite celebs were spotted wearing them including It girl Cara Delevingne and our favourite little Fanning (Elle). All of a sudden, it became a craze (I mean, who can possibly contemplate wearing regular earrings like a classy woman?). I'd say this will likely blow over, but I've made wrongful predictions before.

NUMBER 8
Nail Art
Rating: 7/10
via pinterest.com
Remember that article I wrote on how Nail Art is dead/dying (view here)? Well, in 2013, it was all too real, all over everyone's nails! For now, the trend seems to be losing its hype, but all it really takes is one popular celebrity to do it again and our nails will be all decked out once more!

NUMBER 7
Crop Tops
Rating: 8/10
via lolobu.com
Crop tops (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) are here to stay. With a pair of high-waisted jeans or a classic blazer, they can be classed up for the everyday fashionista. If you're in Hollywood, this is obviously unnecessary as you have abs to kill and standards of class of far different anyway.

NUMBER 6
The Chanel Lego Clutch
Rating: 7/10
via vogue.mx
As an art piece, this is probably the coolest concept ever. However, as a bag, it happens to be transparent in its original form (displaying every embarrassing item you have in your purse). I love it because it reminds me of my childhood and I seriously hope it translates into the street style universe, but for now, it remains reserved for the fashion elite. Will you dare to try it in 2014?

NUMBER 5
The Midi Skirt
Rating: 6/10
via lolobu.com
I give this trend a 6 because I still can't pull it off. I'm slowly coming to terms with this fact, but it's still ridiculously classy and comforting to know that mini skirts are taking a break.

NUMBER 4
The Beanie
Rating: 7/10
via weheartit.com
As we tumble into winter, we all struggle to look cool in this dire cold months. The beanie is 50 shades of awesome, but it can also look horrendous when done wrong. Beanie's with writing on them? Well, to each his own.

NUMBER 3
POW
Rating: 7/10
via lookbook.nu
I'm pretty sure the word POW is self explanatory, but in case it isn't, it is basically the one word strewn across pants, skirts, and tops everywhere for the past few months. Everyone is obsessed with this comic strip look (even the non-geeks among us). Though this may fade or take on a new form, I think it was definitely fun while it lasted.

NUMBER 2
Round Sunglasses
Rating: 8/10
via about-to-blow.tumblr.com
I'm an avid fan of the round sunglasses. I also happen to know that this trend is only going to explode in 2014. Get ready for some John Lennon high fashion, ladies.

NUMBER 1
Purple Lips
Rating: 9/10
via splendidactually.com
Step aside, red. Purple is now the new hot lip colour. Though this will only last through the Fall/Winter months, it is a wonder that it transcended the magazine pages and onto the lips of street stylers everywhere. Maybe it's our obsession with Vamps, but whatever brought this on, I am forever grateful.

Honourable mentions: The Zara Short/Skirt/Skort (Still don't know what that's called) (8/10) and The Fendi Fur Baguette (6/10)

If I missed anything grand, I apologize in advance and I'd love to hear about it in the comments below. The year 2013 was filled with trends wreaking of the 90s and essentially, my childhood. Let's get nostalgic together because 2014 will be a whole other ball game.

Happy New Year!

Bella




37 Days Until NYFW

No comments:

Post a Comment