Thursday, May 22, 2014

Boyfriend Jeans and Short Girls: An Awkward Mix

As I walk down the streets, I've noticed that skinny jeans are starting to feel a little passé. Crazy, right? Apparently, baggy pants are making a comeback in a big way, leaving me slightly crestfallen. From harem pants to boyfriend jeans, it's all about the loose cut that floats away from the body. When did this happen?

Or better yet, how did this happen? I remember being 16 years old and realizing that I was wearing all my jeans too loosely. At the time, I thought that they didn't fit and away they went. It was also an excuse to go on a shopping spree and head out on a quest for the perfect fitting pair (read: pairs) of jeans. It was a good day.

via Pinterest
All that has changed, my friends. Loose is the new look and it couldn't be more Paris chic. Unfortunately, I'm 5 feet tall and baggy just ain't going to cut it. There is nothing more unflattering than a pair of pants that hangs down your already almost non-existent legs. How will I get through a season with this being the dominant trend? And who brought back the Mom jeans? Can I be granted permission to yell at this individual? 

As a frustrated short girl, I yearn to wear this trend, but I've realized that it cannot be. When baggy leather pants became a thing, I headed straight for Zara to try on a pair, only to discover that it just wasn't going to work. The reality is that only way I can possibly pull off this trend is with a pair of stilettos to offer an illusion of height that will counter the baggy pants. Now, I don't usually believe in "trends" or being able to "pull something off" better than another person, but I do believe in proportions. Sometimes you have to succumb to your size limitations and maybe even embrace them. Perhaps the current trend won't work for your body type, but maybe the next one will. 

You win some, you lose some, right?

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment