Friday, November 14, 2014

My Burgeoning Relationship With Turtleneck Sweaters

via www.fashion-agony.com
Society tells you to be sexy. Or at least the celebrities at every corner do. All you have to do is take a look at Kim K.'s Paper Magazine nude photo and you'll see that Hollywood is all about exposing your skin. Not everyone is Kim Kardashian and I think it's safe to say that the general population won't be posing for a magazine in their birthday suit anytime soon, but sexy is everywhere.

There begs the question: what is sexy?

This a is term that cannot be defined because it is obviously subjective.

Is sexy a deep v dress that exposes your crevice?
Is sexy a mini skirt that makes your legs look a mile long?
Is sexy a pair of skintight leather pants?
Is sexy a pair of bootie shorts a la Daisy Duke?

Some would say yes to all of these traits, while others would raise a brow at the thought.

Then, there's the anti-sexy. What is the anti-sexy?

The anti-sexy is everything that goes against traditional notions of sexuality. This is a concept that counters the male perception of a sexy woman.

What do you consider anti-sexy?

Baggy leather pants? An oversized sweater? Boyfriend jeans? 

Or perhaps, a turtleneck?

via www.oqusar.com
Now, I finally get to the point. Throughout my life, the turtleneck has never appealed to me regardless of my desire to subvert traditional notions of sexuality. After all, just look at the name. Who wants to have a legitimate turtle's neck? Not so sexy. I also thought it would strangle me. I kid not. This was my main concern. However, I decided to take the leap and buy one the other day. We'll call it my risk of the day. Clearly, I'm the living on the edge type of girl...

After putting it over my head, I came to several conclusions. Here is what I decided:

1) It strangles me a little.
2) Not enough to stop wearing it.
3) Because I secretly love it.
4) It makes me think of Audrey Hepburn and the gamine look.
5) Which makes me feel sophisticated and chic.
6) I also think I look older in it. I think.
7) It looks good with EVERYTHING.
8) It's a great winter fix.
9) I need more of them.
10) In different colours.

So, there you have it. That was my first experience with the turtleneck sweater. What do you think of this look? Do you think there's something inherently sexy about wearing something boyish and "unsexy"? Or am I just crazy?

Ponder it,

XOXO,

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment